Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Job

I don't think I have actually described my job in depth so here goes: I am working at a high school out of the counselor's office in Belize City, Belize. I am responsible for coordinating and running a program entitled “It's Up To Me.” The program was created by a former volunteer who basically wrote the framework, but did not include any activities/strategies/materials; so I am having to come up with the “meat and potatoes” of the program. I am having a great time because I can essentially do whatever I want with the kids. The students involved in the program are labeled as “at risk.” What is at risk? Students who are in trouble academically and/or disciplinary. There are currently 11 students in the program and I meet with them on a individual and group basis once a week. In the next two years I would like to create a manual for the program along with a handbook/assignment book for the students.

I teach 5 Life Skills classes on Thursday's and Friday's to 2nd and 3rd formers (sophomores and juniors). The subject matter includes: Goal setting, communication skills, conflict resolution, stress management, decision making skills, sexuality, STD's/HIV/AIDS, drugs, teenage pregnancy, child abuse, domestic violence, depression and suicide. It was weird at first because I don't really have any classroom experience but I am comfortable in front of groups so I am having fun with it. All classes are conducted in English but the kids often respond in Kriol.

Another crazy part of the job is that I am already one of the Big 5 on campus. Every week there are management meetings with the principal, 2 vice principals, a counselor and me. I am responsible for reporting on the status of the students in the Its Up To Me program. I am enjoying this because it holds me accountable. All meetings are conducted in Kriol.

Some of the benefits of the job: its a structured environment, I have my own office (desk, chair fan, window, door sign, the works. Its funny I couldn't find a job like this in the states so I have to join the peace corps to get hooked up with an office), I have the freedom to create my own work, I don't work on weekends, I get 3 weeks for Christmas, 2 weeks for Spring break and Summers off. ha.

I was also asked to be the advisor for the American Football Club the first week I got here. I enjoy watching football but I do not have any experience coaching the game. I think American Football is one thing that Belizeans think Americans automatically know and enjoy. The club meets on Wednesdays for an hour.

Far From Home,

Christopher Wilkins Weiss

No comments: