Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chetumal, Mexico

I went to Chetumal, Mexico yesterday with my host brother, his girlfriend and Julie. Chetumal is where Belizeans go to buy items that are too expensive in Belize: cereal, milk and toilet paper. It's got an American feel to it: there is a mall with a movie theatre, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, McDonalds, Burger King and Dominoes Pizza. We saw a movie and ate at McDiesel's: I got a Big Mac with fries and a coke. It's funny how McDonalds brings the American out of you when you are in a foreign land; in a weird way it makes you feel comfortable. At first i was adamantly opposed to eating at Mcdonalds but the golden arches were calling my name. Who can turn down big mac sauce? So good. It was a nice change from the rice and beans Belizean cuisine. I spent most of my money on food and entertainment, however I did buy a football for the American Football Club I am supervising at school.

I got my first package from my parents on Friday. It included the following:
Books
Maps - The US and World
Jeans
USA T-Shirt
Franks Red Hot Sauce
Magazines - magazines in Belize are $25

Far From Home, (Toledo, Ohio to Belize City, Belize - 1,916 miles to be exact)

Christopher Wilkins Weiss

3 comments:

Tom59 said...

Hi Chris, if I remember correctly, from when I was in Belize twenty five years ago, Toledo is only about 150 miles away!

Christopher Weiss said...

Toledo, Ohio, United States sir. Not Toledo District, Belize.

Clipping Solutions said...


I m so glad to visit this blog.This blog is really so amazing'
clipping path service

background removal service
image masking service