Monday, November 17, 2008

The Today Show in Belize

So I was flipping through the channels this morning and stumbled upon NBC's The Today Show (Belizeans get cable from random parts of the United States, so the TV at my house receives local channels from New York City and Denver. So I can watch the Denver local news if I wanted to. Its kinda weird though because I fell connected to family and the US in a way because my brother and his family are probably watching the same thing.) . They are doing a week long segment on exotic locations throughout the world that are being affected by climate change. One of the places is Belize. They are filming at the Great Blue Hole. What is the Great Blue Hole you ask: The Great Blue Hole is a large underwater sinkhole off of the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef, a small atoll 45 miles from the mainland and Belize City. The hole is circular in shape, over 1,000 feet across and 400 feet deep. It was formed as a limestone cave system during the last ice age when sea levels were much lower. As the ocean began to rise again the caves flooded, and the roof collapsed. I have not had a chance to visit the hole, but I am sure I will sometime in the next 2 years.

Far From Home,

Christopher Wilkins Weiss

No comments: